Release Date: 04/05/2011
Steel Diver was originally a tech demo for Nintendo DS; it has since been redeveloped for Nintendo 3DS. Steel Diver is a 3D action game in which the player takes control of a submarine and guides it through three different types of stages: Missions, in which the player navigates an obstacle course and must get the submarine to complete certain objectives; Periscope Strike, in which the player uses the motion sensors of the Nintendo 3DS to locate enemy ships and sink them; and Steel Commander, where the player must use strategy to locate enemy ships and try to sink them.
The game uses the Touch Screen in novel ways for each mode; there is simulation of the inside of a submarine with levers and switches to control the vessel for Mission and Periscope Strike modes.
The player can also share the game with another by using Download Play; this opens up Steel Commander into a 2- Player experience.
Steel Diver is an action-packed submarine combat game from Nintendo that immerses players in amazing 3D environments. Branching paths, split-second decisions and attacks from enemy ships make for a thrilling undersea adventure. The mix of 3D game play and one-of-a-kind controls—using the gyroscope and touch screen of the Nintendo 3DS system—makes for an unique combination that must be experienced to be believed.
Steel Diver on Nintendo 3DS Features:
- Unique Touch Screen controls for each mode
- Control a submarine to fight sea battles in 3D
- Battle friends in Steel Commander mode using Download Play
- Use motion controls to find enemy ships via periscope
- Missions: The player must navigate his submarine to the end of the course, avoiding obstacles and enemies.
- Periscope Strike: The player must, using the periscope, track down and sink enemy ships using torpedoes. This is done by the player actively turning around while holding the console; the motion controllers in the Nintendo 3DS will recognise the player’s movement and change the perspective of the periscope in-game accordingly (i.e., if the player turns left, the view in the periscope will also turn left). It is highly recommended to use a swivel chair to play this mode.
- Steel Commander: Similar to the board game Battleship, the player/s must hide ships around a grid/map and the goal is to try to sink those of his enemy on his own map using a submarine.
- There are three submarines in the game to correspond with three different difficulty levels.
Suitable for people aged 7 and over.