Mercenaries 2: World In Flames PlayStation 3
Av. User Rating
Av. User Rating
Mercenaries 2: World In Flames Product Details
Released on 05/09/2008
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames is an explosive open-world action game set in a massive, highly reactive, war-torn world. A power-hungry tyrant messes with Venezuela's oil supply, sparking an invasion that turns the country into a warzone.
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames features the latest and most dangerous in civilian and military tech, everything from shiny new sports cars, to the future-tech satellite-guided bunker-busting mini-nuke. Tanks, APCs, boats, luxury automobiles – you name it, you can have it delivered to you in real time. And if you run out of cash you can always 'acquire' the gear you need in the field.
If you see it, you can buy it, steal it, or blow the living crap out of it in Mercenaries 2: World in Flames. Play your own way, or play Mercenaries 2: World in Flames with the help of a friend in the new cooperative multiplayer mode.
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Features:
- Cooperative Multiplayer!: Play the main Mercenaries 2 campaign with the help of your friends.
- Play with fire! Mercenaries 2: World in Flames' Ground breaking, general purpose fire technology lets you set fire to buildings, vehicles and people. Shoot holes in the sides of fuel trucks, watch the oil spill under the feet of unsuspecting enemies and light it on fire with a match!
- Travel over/under water! Don't worry about drowning ever again: use watercraft or swim to traverse the oceans, rivers and lakes of Mercenaries 2: World in Flames.
- Build your own Private Military Company!: Increase and customise your support options in Mercenaries 2: World in Flames by recruiting other mercenaries you meet in the game!
- A massive, reactive, and completely unscripted game world!: The world of Mercenaries 2: World in Flames is larger than all of the maps of the first game combined and is jam-packed, full of colorful characters and environments. And this time, every action you make has ramifications throughout the entire country.
- Cool new toys!: Dozens of weapons, vehicles and support options are available for to use to blow the crap out of everything in Mercenaries 2: World in Flames! Use the new grappling hook to latch on to flying vehicles and commandeer them in the sky!
- Work for the highest bidder!: Clients in Mercenaries 2: World in Flames will offer you money, information and other resources in exchange for your services – provided you haven't done anything to annoy them!
I wanna go boom boom
World In Flames? No kidding. This run-and-gun sandbox has enough explosive destruction to put Michael Bay into a coma. This is one of those games where you don't have to wait 10 hours to get your hands on the grenade launcher. It's airdropped into your grateful mitts within the first 15 seconds.
Six minutes later, you're already flattening soldiers with a tank.
Like the first game, Mercenaries is a massive free-roaming gun and vehicle fight. Think Grand Theft Auto in South America circa 2010.
Your bearded protagonist wants revenge on the Venezuelan dictator who shot him in the buttock and gets it doing missions for factions ranging from the UN to a band of Rastafarian pirates. There are tasks that advance the story, but you're essentially free to pick and choose from 79 missions across 64 square kilometres of balmy jungle, city and shanty town.
Mercenaries 2 is simply about smashing apart a big country full of beautiful scenery.
Sounds a lot like Just Cause? It is. You even get that game's exhilarating ability to grapple onto a helicopter, climb up and kick the pilot out. But the self-consciously over-the-top carnage is the big deal here.
Case in point: killing off a particular HVT (High Value Target) by stealing an enemy truck, attaching C4 explosive, pootling unchallenged into the enemy base, then ditching your ride and blowing it up from afar. Cheeky.
Mercenaries 2 knows what it likes. And that is mostly smashing apart the big country full of beautiful scenery that Pandemic has so carefully constructed. That's no exaggeration: aside from the odd vehicle race, missions really don't vary much beyond capturing or killing HVTs, assaulting bases (best done by hijacking a tank) or blowing up stuff.
AI is weak and befriending/upsetting factions rarely affects play to a significant extent, so Mercenaries 2 doesn't boast much in the way of tactics or choice. But then perhaps variety and depth aren't such a worry when you've got satellite-guided bombs ('You might want to back away from your target,' says your in-ear contact - she's not wrong) and bunker busters that bring 80-storey buildings folding majestically to the ground.
Variety and depth aren't such a big deal when you've got satellite-guided bombs.
Granted, you might wish that as much gleeful wickedness had gone into the design of the handheld weapons. But then all guns are going to look like peashooters next to an MOAB. That stands for the 'Mother Of All Bombs' and it's pretty much indistinguishable from a nuclear explosion.
The controls are easygoing. Free aiming while running works well and is useful because soldiers left alive will scream for help into their walkie-talkies and bring pesky helicopter death from the skies. While the handbrake turns in vehicles are so deliciously over-the-top that even the game's loading screen keeps encouraging you to use them.
Oil be damned
Be warned: when you've had your fill of fireworks, Mercenaries 2's genuinely impressive moments - the subtle but infuriating physics involved in delivering a truckful of guns without any sliding to the ground; the wholesale destruction of an impossibly large oil rig - can feel a little few and far between.
But if you're looking for the freedom to experiment with one very large South American country and several trillion kilograms of explosive, then World In Flames really won't disappoint.
- Ridiculously explosive on a preposterous scale. If you can see it, you can destroy it.
- Plenty of vehicles to 'borrow' for when you fancy a sit down.
- Solid co-operative play.
- The guns and grenade launchers just can't hold a candle to the world-shattering explosions.
- Venezuela is big but the playing area has more empty jungle than you might like.
- Mission variety is lacking but then most missions do end with a lovely big bang.
Mercenaries 2: world In Flames Review (09/09/2008)
I wanna go boom boom
World In Flames? No kidding. This run-and-gun sandbox has enough explosive destruction to put Michael Bay into a coma. This is one of those games …
As a valued customer we now offer you the facility to sign up to email price alerts. Please enter the price you want to be, or below, and if drops to that level we will let you know...
NewOut of stock
- Only £8.99
Free UK Delivery
PreownedOut of stock
- Only £1.99
Free UK Delivery
Earn 72 reward points
Please note: prices in GAME Stores may differ.
You have chosen to add this product to your Wish List, but which version would you prefer to add?
Similar PlayStation 3 games you may like
Dead Island: Riptide GAME Exclusive Special Edition (PlayStation 3)
- Only £32.99
Av. User Rating