Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood PC Games and Downloads
Av. User Rating
Av. User Rating
Released on 03/07/2009
As the McCall brothers, players enter a doomed quest for the legendary Gold of Juarez leading them from a ravaged Georgia during the Civil War to the Aztec ruins of Mexico. They make their lawless trail into the wildest West ever depicted, using their gun slinging skills and killing all of those that stand before them. But when brothers face Lust, their bound of blood feels thinner than ever…
- Dual Collaborative Gameplay – Players can choose to embody either Ray or Thomas, each with a distinctive gameplay style (close or long range), specific abilities (lasso, dynamite…), and weapons (dual guns, long-range carbine…). They collaborate with their other brother taking advantage of each of their strengths and joining fire in the fiercest fights imaginable.
- Deadly Gun slinging – Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood offers a visceral shooting experience, relying on gun skills and upgradeable guns. Whether close or long range, they harness a variety of weapons from heavy caliber canons to machine guns and various pistols for face-to-face duels. Every accurate shot increases their concentration, which allows them to unleash deadly shooting modes when outnumbered, and even deadlier ones when the brothers work together.
- Uncharted Territory – Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood depicts the West before it was tamed with iconic settings (a smoky saloon, a Marshall prison, a Ghost Town…) full of outlaws. The McCall brothers face a gritty Lady, a renegade Apache chief, a greedy Mexican bandit, and a vindictive Colonel, all driven by Greed & moral disregard. The players enjoy a wide variety of situations, using horses, canoes, and wagons to explore the open natural landscapes of the mythical Wild West (dry desert of Arizona, Native American village in the woods…) and of its legendary period (Civil War trenches, gigantic cotton plantations…)
- Innovative Western-themed Multiplayer - Gunslingers, Bandits, and Marshalls struggle online for the bounty. Multiple characters are unlocked for team-based objectives modes or the straight forward team death match. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood introduces a Bounty system, which sees the players increase the bounty on their head with more kills and try to get rid of the deadliest among them to increase their bank-rolls! Objectives-driven, team based missions let them relive the most famous scenes of the Wild West (bank attack, train attack...).
Answer the call
One of the great mysteries in videogaming is why there aren't more games set in the wild west. There are at least as many cowboy movies as there are World War II films but in the gaming world there are barely any cowboy games.
Things are changing for the better though. Rockstar has a sequel to its last generation Red Dead Revolver in the pipeline, due out in the autumn. In the meantime, you can saddle up and ride on into Juarez, Mexico, the setting of a PC-only game released in 2006, and now the backdrop to this multi-platform prequel entitled, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood.
Brothers in arms
The game tells the story of two brothers, Ray and Thomas McCall, who at the start of the story are soldiers fighting on the side of the Confederacy in the American Civil War. When Union forces threaten to destroy their home and family in Georgia, the boys go AWOL and head off to sort things out. This sets them on a course that will take them across America, in search of the legendary gold of Juarez.
This sets them on a course that will take them across America, in search of the legendary gold of Juarez.
Having two protagonists, Ray and Thomas, leads to some interesting gameplay variations. You get to control both characters at one time or another, and each has their own distinct skill set. Between them, you have all the abilities you'll need to complete the adventure. Depending on the player's preference he or she can opt to use Ray's hard man approach, using close-up combat, or take control of Thomas's more refined rifle skills.
Were this an entirely accurate recreation of the wild west, you'd probably be restricted to firing a couple of standard issue, and highly unreliable, Colt revolvers and possibly a shotgun. Not here. Partly because the game takes place during the Civil War, and also because the developers have, thankfully, taken liberties with reality, there's a whole range of weapons on offer. From simple handguns, to long barrelled pistols, rifles, shotguns, bows, throwing knives and even a Gatling gun, there's plenty of hardware to play with.
Enter into a one-on-one duel which, far from being a simple shooting match, is as much a battle of wills as anything.
The combat is what really establishes the lawless authenticity of the game's setting. As you take part in gun battles against multiple enemies, you can build up your concentration meter. Fill it up and you'll enter into a destructive shooting mode, enabling you to take on large numbers of foes more easily. And when it comes to fighting the game's bosses, you'll enter into a one-on-one duel which, far from being a simple shooting match, is as much a battle of wills as anything.
These days any first-person shooter worth its salt has to have a multi-player mode and Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood is no exception. Various multi-player maps and character classes are available, with players able to take on the role of lawman or bandit. Shooting enemies results in the collection of a bounty and the more bounty you build up, the more you're worth to another player when he shoots you - a scoring system that anyone who's played conkers will recognise. Some maps are also inspired by classic western movie moments so you'll have the opportunity to have a shootout at the OK Corral.
It's pretty clear from what's already been said that Call To Juarez: Bound in Blood is an atmospheric shooter and this is due in no small part to the gritty visuals that perfectly recreate the dust and filth of a range of classic western environments. With its great looks and intense action, this is one western you'll want to train your sights on.
- Looks like the wild west.
- Great storyline.
- Two playable characters.
- Tense duelling.
- Multi-player options.
- In my opinion, this is too rough for younger gamers.
Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood Review (02/07/2009)
Answer the call
One of the great mysteries in videogaming is why there aren't more games set in…
As a valued customer we now offer you the facility to sign up to email price alerts. Please enter the price you want to be, or below, and if drops to that level we will let you know...
NewOut of stock
- Only £7.99
Free UK Delivery
- Only £9.99
- Download time for 512 kbps: 1072
- Download time for 2 mbps: 268
- Download time for 4 mbps: 134
Earn 80 reward points
Please note: prices in GAME Stores may differ.
You have chosen to add this product to your Wish List, but which version would you prefer to add?